Monday, May 30, 2011

I need to edit my closet

I know this post is probably lame, but I have no idea how to edit a wardrobe.

I know I need a whole new wardrobe. I've been rich, poor, a bit richer, a bit poorer, then basically in poverty for the last year.

Do I throw things in bags and let them sit for 2 months before I send them to Goodwill in case I need to wear something in there? Do I let things sit for five years and then go closet digging and find things that look brand new and get excited? I don't know!

The thing is that I'm turning into a new person. The clothes that I have don't match who I am becoming. So now I'm stuck hanging on to these things that remind me of a time I don't particularly want to remember. Clothes are truly a first impression of the person that you are trying to communicate, which is why it is very important to edit your wardrobe to fit that person. People are truly that superficial. I never wanted to believe it, but I believe it now.

So I guess instead of doing the whole write and delete that I usually do for everything, I'm stuck with what I've got and I have to edit it.

I have major issues with editing, which I just remembered from writing this. See, if it's not working for me, I lack the ability to just edit it until it does. I trash the whole thing and start from scratch. This includes pretty much everything; I'm very black and white. It's a dangerous lifestyle.

Usually what I do when I don't like something anymore is I a) burn it or delete it; b) throw it away, no matter what it is; c) give it away; or d) ignore it, hoping it will go away.

But you can't always do that. Sometimes you're just stuck with what you have. Which includes ugly clothes.

I think I've figured it out, though. Just buy things that you can't get sick of in the first place. In certain colors. Buy shoes that can't ever go out of style. Buy a nice purse and never put Rollo's in it to melt (true story). I mean these are pretty obvious things, but not for me I guess. Oh, and no impulse buys. Those are the worst. They always end up getting the boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment