Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Editing a habit

I have two habits I hate...smoking and coffee. I recently cut coffee out almost entirely and cigarettes are more difficult. But I have quit smoking before so I will tell you how I edited out coffee and cigarette addictions.

1) drink a lot of water (like 3 L a day)... Not only is smoking dehydrating, I'm pretty sure it takes nutrients out of your tissues. That craving goes away when you're at your optimum fluid capacity. Same with coffee...coffee is acidic so drinking tons more water will make you crave it less.

2) exercise...nothing is grosser than when you're doing a really hard exercise and you puke from dehydration or choke up a lung. Have some goals and the other two will get less and less.

3) just don't buy any...there's the whole, "I just want one cigarette but then I have to try to get the individual cigarettes and it's just easier to buy a pack and smoke one and keep the others for an emergency.". That doesn't work. Buying extra large coffees because you think you're getting value is a bad idea as well.

4). boredom is a killer. It's what gets be every time. Being over stimulated gets me too, like when I read a book or eat too much or watch a movie and get bored halfway through. You pretty much have to reboot the mind by disciplining it. "no, just because you're bored doesnt give you the right to smoke a pack in one sitting."

5). Be conscious...sometimes the act of buying these things is more unconscious than the act of ingestion. Make sure you're on top pod your thoughts...try not to let your prions get the better of you and take power over you in certain situations that would make you buy these thongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment